It’s Tax Day here on Compliance Culture!
In honor of the day, check out this selection of links on compliance and regulatory issues in organizational and individual tax practices.
- Enforcement outlook for non-compliance in cryptocurrency gains declarations: If You Held Bitcoins in 2017 Put Your Tax Return On Extension
- Audit risks of trading cryptocurrency: Tax Trouble For Certain Bitcoin Traders
- Tax avoidance through owning luxury property via opaque offshore companies may be on the decline in the UK due to aggressive enforcement practices: Owning UK homes through offshore companies falls 22%
- Disclosures from Panama and Paradise Papers have put pressure on global governments to consider reform of banking secrecy and tax rulings that create havens: G-20 nations slammed for being “too slow” in tackling tax havens following the Panama Papers
- Digital retailers such as eBay and Amazon agree to data-sharing with UK government to address issue of VAT-evasion: UK to agree deal with eBay and Amazon over tax evasion
- On a related note, the EU is expected to continue its burgeoning efforts to implement stronger directives against tax avoidance and compel member states to enforce judgments: In the Pipeline: EU Initiatives on Tax Avoidance and Their Wider Implications
- How recent US tax reform may not go far enough to really prevent corporate tax avoidance: John Oliver on America’s corporate tax reform: “We absolutely blew it”
- Role of professional tax advisors and client confidentiality in movement toward greater disclosure to combat tax avoidance and evasion: The Rules Of The Game Are Set To Change For Tax Advisers
- Commercial banking strategy and risks of money laundering scandals in the Baltics: Baltic Banks to Shun “Existential” Risks From Ex-Soviet Cash
- EU considering whistleblower protections in transparency movement against jurisdictional rulings creating tax havens: EU moves to protect whistleblowers
For posts on related topics, check out this post on compliance and enforcement developments with money laundering, this post on whistleblowers, and this post or this post which discuss investigative journalism projects that expose, among other topics, tax avoidance and evasion schemes by companies and individuals.