Is it surprising to consider that the legendary heavy metal band Metallica has any relevance at all to compliance and ethics?
While the connection may seem unlikely at first, a closer study of the band’s lyrics reveals numerous themes pertinent to organizational integrity, ethical decision-making, morality, and corporate compliance values and principles.
- “For Whom the Bell Tolls” – Morality of war, life based on honor and other values
- “Master of Puppets” – Tone at the top, conduct modelling
- “Fight Fire with Fire” – High stakes of unethical behavior, limitations of narrow frameworks on making choices with integrity
- “The Struggle Within” – Impact of culture of fear, ineffective communication and reporting preventing speaking up and speaking out
- “…And Justice for All” – Unethical decision-making and organizational culture